Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Making Gains While Sick



Yeah, making gains while sick... it doesn't really happen.

Wednesday night, I picked up a cold from one of my kids.  Hit me hard on Thursday.  In bed all day, and even walking down the hall to get water was an effort.  Friday morning I was able to function enough to open the garage gym to train a couple clients.  Still no workout for me though.

Saturday I was able to do some bench press and move relatively heavy weights a few times.  Had to flip the switch from groggy to THE GROG, and was able to hit a near PR weight (10lbs shy).

What helped me the most (besides this AWESOME woman I am married to) was sleeping when I needed to sleep.  For single parents that don't have options, I don't know how you guys do it.  Here is my best advice: Rest and recover when your body asks for it, eat good solid foods that are nutrient rich.   Don't be a hero thinking that you just need to suck it up.  Actually you do need to suck it up, but not when you're trying to recover as fast as possible.  Asking your body to build strength, fight off a virus, and raise kids at the same time doesn't work.  You make yourself weaker.

Don't get weaker.  Rest, drink water, eat right.

Today's Strong Sunday workout:

  • Log Press 5-3-1
  • Yoke walk: 
    • 100 feet x heavy, heavier
    • 200 feet for 50% of target weight
    • 300 feet same weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment