Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Lifting is a Waste of Time


As a dad I have learned that time is short.  Dedicating time to move weight might seem like a misguided time commitment but each time you put yourself under the bar, you are creating an opportunity to get better.

It's NOT a waste of time.  Getting stronger makes the everyday part of life easier.

When I got off my 8-year training break, I could barely run a mile.  Suitcases for a weekend trip were heavy, and simply walking around seeing new places was a chore I simply cared not to do.   I was weak and my time was spent in front of the T.V. and computer screen.  While I still spend time in front of both, I've simply re-allocated more time to developing strength and endurance.

At the beginning of this year I was hovering right around 215 for the front squat.  Lately, I've been able to hit 235 as a sort of anyday training max.  245 (as seen in the video) is getting easier too.  So close to getting a new number!

Front squats are a fantastic core developer, and for cyclists, excellent quad builders as well.  It's a safer lift than a back squat since your torso is nearly vertical and well stacked.  If you don't stay vertical, you dump the weight (which happened to me after this video with 250).

Front squats and kettlebell goblet squats are excellent ways to get started squatting.

A great book on getting started in strength training is Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength".  If you're new to moving weight, this book will get you aimed in the right direction.  You will see quick response to the weight stimulus and it will be exciting for a while.  Stick with it and see where it can take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment