Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

How Much Strength Training Do You Need For Running?

As a runner we're told we need more strength training.  Great.  Thanks.  And what type of strength training would that be?

I've spent the last 28 years trying to figure out the best approach to developing strength relevant to endurance training.  My first attempt at figuring it out was following Dave Scott's triathlon book (circa 1986).
Dave is a fantastic resource (and an accomplished athlete) and I'm sure he's changed his approach since writing his original book.

Over the years I went from bodyweight only, to rubber band resistance, to machine-based isolation, to kettlebells and bootcamp workouts, to CrossFit, and now, back to basic barbell training (with a few kettlebell movements).

What I've learned is that there are bodybuilding approaches (hypertrophy training), there is a degree of sport-specific movements you can do, and there is such a thing as pure strength building as it applies to tendon and ligament strength.

Christopher Sommer, from Gymnastics Bodies shared a great piece of info in a Barbell Shrugged podcast recently.  The average human can build new muscle tissue in 90 days, and new tendon/ligament strength in about 200 days.  What does this mean?  If you're doing strength training, you can develop enough strength to injure yourself.  If your quad can generate 200lbs of strength in a sprint but your knee tendon can only handle 150, you have a problem.  Continuous development of strength without some level of back-off and de-load will soon be an issue for you.  Strength as a practice becomes more important.

One group who has figured out the side of self-preservation along with safe and consistent strength building (in addition to Coach Sommer) is the RKC group.  One book in particular which has made tendon and ligament strength a priority is "Convict Conditioning".  Stressing that a movement needs to be repeated at a frequent and sustainable volume prior to moving on to something more advanced.  The book outlines basic body movements (pull-ups, push-ups, trunk, etc) that span beginner to expert level progressions.

Another text I really connected with is "Easy Strength" by Dan John and Pavel.  It's a fresh approach to focusing on what's important as an athlete rather than someone who is simply trying to reveal their abs or out perform their neighbor in pull-ups (either of which are noble pursuits).  I tried the 40-workout plan and got substantially stronger in each of the lifts I focused on.

Which is the best approach for Running?

Well after 28 years, I have to go with the style of Convict conditioning and Easy Strength and use my own filter for what I deem critical to surviving runs that span the 10 to 30 hour range.

Here are my goals are as they relate to strength training for running:
  1. Zero injuries doing strength training (it's not always possible, but let's try)
    • Balanced strength building (push, pull, hinge, squat, carry...)
  2. Quick recovery (i.e. a kettlebell session should not prevent me from being able to run 3 hours later)
    • minimal soreness
    • low impact to central nervous system
  3. Strength ability progresses over time.
    • the weight is not too light, but weights that once felt heavy will feel light eventually.
Here are the exercises that will support the three goals above:
  • Deadlifts
  • Kettlebell swings
  • Pistols
  • Turkish Getups
  • Sled drags (forward and back)
There's no need to pursue strength PR's in these movements.  Your sport, if you are a runner, is to get better at running.  Strength will improve as a by-product of the practice.  I've actively chased strength goals and discovered that at some point the strength was more of a priority than the running.  What I learned was that strength focus needs it's own corner and can't compete with other goals.  My ability to squat 315 (a very modest number in lifting circles) had just as much impact on my running as my ability to squat 225.  Deadlifts on the other hand... whenever I worked the deadlift, my runs got easier.  However the more I ran, the less effective my strength training became because I couldn't recover quickly enough to make progress.  Now, the goal is to use strength training for my originally intended purpose: get better at the long stuff.

Here's my recommendation:

Do the following routine for 40 workouts (two to three times a week):
  • deadlift
    • 2 sets of 5 reps - medium weight
  • kettlebell swings
    • 5 sets of 10 reps
  • Pistols
    • 2 sets of 5 reps (use assistance if needed)
  • Turkish Getups
    • 5 reps each side
  • Sled drags
    • Medium heavy weight 50 yards forward, 50 yards backward - six times
Do this for 40 workouts, add weight when you feel stronger, go light when you feel sluggish.  You will be amazed.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment