Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Seeing Improvement in Running Economy

There are definitely good days and bad days.  As we age, the number of 'good' days seem like they happen less frequently, and it all appears on face value to be an effort in futility to retain and to ever excel at something we were once good at.

Not today.  Last year I began an experiment to follow Dr. Phil Maffetone's advice on running a low heart rate run.  At the time, it was to balance my pursuits in powerlifting and developing strength.  Because of the amount of strength training I was doing, I only saw a modicum of success and improvement in running.

Now, because the strength is only in maintenance, the ability to improve running is becoming a reality.

Today was the first time I've been able to run a particular hill without stopping while running at my "Maffetone limit".  What is that?  It's fairly straight forward.  It's your heart rate at 180 minus your age.  That's your upper limit.  For me I've been keeping it as my average.  It's harder than you think to keep yourself to that pace.  Especially in the beginning.

Going slow was the right choice, it just took over a year to see the long-term effects:


No comments:

Post a Comment